Saturday, October 3, 2009

Mmmhmm.

If we've learned anything, I think we've learned that I suck at correspondence. I heard this joke the other day about a blogger who rarely blogs and finally, when he does blog, it's only to apologize for not blogging more. I am this man. Stone me.

Things have been really placid recently. I feel like I just found my rhythm living in Korea. I'm content with staying at home, doing homey things. I don't need to be occupying my thoughts with my next weekend trip to remain happy. I think Myonghwa plays a significant role here. Also, NFL Gamepass plays a significant role here, along with online poker (Reader's note: There is no real money involved.) and bad Korean dramas. I've become content, or maybe complacent, with staying in my little town, spending time with Myonghwa and living in cyberspace. This hibernation sounds like a bout of depression or laziness, and I might grant you the latter, but I actually just feel at home in Boryeong now. I feel excited to excited to come home after a trip and I feel excited to stay at home on the weekends. I feel at ease in my apartment, safe within it's concrete womb. I borrowed this from Paul Simon.

Yesterday, I went to Myonghwa's town, Jupo, and was shocked to see an old school house that was erected in 1715. It had the typical traditional Korean architecture and paint designs and it was literally a stone's throw from Myonghwa's house. She used to walk by a building 300 years old everyday on her way to school. And this is a young building, by Korean standards. She suspected that her town had been around since about 1000 AD. Then, in front of her old middle school, we walked by a pagoda (that had been transported there) from about 500 AD. These are things that seem insignificant and normal to her. My neighborhood was built in 1969.

No comments: